Thursday, August 27, 2009

Day 3

Today was similar to yesterday - that's the thing about the lower grades: more routines, more predictability. I taught more cursive today, which went very well. The students are adapting to the routine, and I think my class management skills are improving. I've learned that you have to give students directions as soon as they walk in the door or you're transitioning because if you wait around, they'll find other things to occupy their attention. The next thing you know, they're chatting and it's even more difficult to get their attention (I learned this in my internship with 6th graders; I've been fortunate not to experience it in my 3rd grade class and plan to prevent it with my precautions). I've learned how to build more routines with the students within the lessons so they know better what to expect - for example, when teaching cursive, the students now know to expect to practice a letter on their marker boards, I will approve/suggest corrections, and then they are to write a line of practice letters in their notebooks.

This afternoon students took STAR reading and math tests to help establish a baseline of data for their ZPD, approximate grade level, etc. It was interesting to get a better idea of what grade levels some of these kids are on.

It's far past my bed time. Yay - first Friday tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment