Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Work Day 1

Today was my first day at my student teaching placement in an elementary school in Western NC.  I am in a third grade classroom and I'm very excited about my experiences this semester.  Today we spent the whole day in a school-wide meeting with the principal.  We were refreshed on paperwork, some school policies and procedures, and were told our expectations as staff/faculty from the principal's perspective.  Despite what some might suspect, a day long meeting isn't bad! :) Also, we were fed a delicious southern breakfast with all the 'fixins', short of grits but not lacking in much else.  It was interesting to see how staff interact with each other.  Putting a bunch of teachers into a room together is always humorous - we have that "teacher-complex" about us that gives us all the idea that we have the right to have side conversations, get up when we please, etc.  Of course, we also do the best job at it - since we know how to whisper and sneak in and out quietly.  However, our appearance of professionalism is at stake.  I think that's one of the most important things for me to keep in mind this semester as a student teacher - my professional appearance to the staff, parents, and children.  I think there is already an impact being made by my presence on work days.  Out of the other student teachers (from other universities), only one other student teacher was there today.  I think I would miss so much if I hadn't come today.  Tomorrow is a more classroom-focused work day, so my teacher and I will be working on some materials for the classroom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment